Monday, July 9, 2012

Day 10: The Great American Road Trip

Before we left Bryce Canyon this morning we decided to check out a waterfall just up the road.  Our hope was that the kids could swim in this, but when we arrived the trail down had been washed out.  So J. forged a new path and we walked up the river bed to the bottom of the waterfall.  This was probably one of my best moments of the trip.  The water was freezing but the boys absolutely loved it.



 After we left Bryce Canyon we headed 2 hours south to Zion National Park.  We did not begin our trip with this park in mind but added it after several people along the way recommended it and I am thankful to them.  This park is amazing.  The road that runs through the park is truly an engineering feat and took 5 years to build in the 1920's.  I am convinced that most amazing things were done the 20's and 30's in the USA.  We will definitely visit this park again and hike through it for sure.   But not in July or August as the temperature in the park today was 115.  HOT, HOT, HOT!

 3 hours south of Zion is Las Vegas and that is where we are staying for 2 nights.    Our base camp is actually 15 minutes outside of Vegas in Hendersen.  J and I got a room on the strip at the Luxor for $40.  I have to say that the Luxor isn't really that bad.  You know me the hotel snob- I am growing up! This is the view from our room door. 
 So J and I didn't really know what to do with ourselves.  Our days have been so planned out that we floundered for a bit with having no set plans or directions.  We toyed around with seeing a show but then opted just to walk the strip.  We ate at the Bellagio and it was fabulous as always.  I have only been to Vegas in the summer one time before and two things stand out for me now.
  1.   English speakers are the minority.  It is like every person here is vacationing from another country.  I certainly hope they are visiting other places other than Vegas!  
  2. The line to Bellagio Buffet is THE best place to people watch.  You would not believe the outfits, hairstyles, mismatched couples.  That was truly a show for us this evening.  I so wish that I had a tiny camera on my sunglasses to document the things we saw.  You have to see it to believe it!


They added the Washington Monument- shout out to DC.


So before we walked the strip we were thinking about bringing the boys to see the pirate show at TI and the Bellagio water show tomorrow.  That would be a big H*!! no.  If you have not been to Vegas in a while the pamphlet people are out in full force.  I truly think this takes away from the fun that this city has to offer and pulls out the sleazy side.  There is no way that we will be touching foot on the strip with my boys.  We will drive through tomorrow night to see the lights and then they can return when they turn 21. 

No comments:

Post a Comment